Friday, August 27, 2010

Casa Robles

Casa Robles
I arrive at casa robles. It is the calm before the storm. Judy and Angelica talk to me in Spanish and I understand that we have an hour before the kids get back from school. They go at 7 and come back at noon and they do not eat lunch at school.
Then the clock strikes 12 and Judy goes and picks them up in a taxi. Pretty soon I see this taxi come around the corner with 9 kids in the back seat including Judy in the front. It’s crazy how they cram people into cars down here. Public transportation is amazing. School buses are used for the public transportation. They will have close to 100 people in a school bus. It is packed to where the back door at the back of the bus is open and people are hanging on with one arm and one or two are standing on the bumper while they hold onto the door while the bus is going 50 mph down the road.
So the kids come and I am swarmed by them. My legs disappear as they all grab for a part of me. All except Marcos and Ceasar. They are too cool and are almost teenagers. They wait until the kids are done and they give me a one arm chest bump man hug.
They strip down in the middle of the hallway and throw on home clothes and get out of their school uniforms. Then we eat lunch. It was a typical Nicaraguan meal. We had rice, a little lettuce salad with pico in it, beans, and a piece of pork. To drink she had some juice made from orange and something else that was amazing. The one cool thing down here, is she makes ALL the juices from scratch. It’s amazing the kinds of juice they have. From radish juice to cactus…. It’s pretty interesting. After Lunch I gave them each a hot wheel car I brought for them. They were consumed for the next 2 hours with those cars. Then it was nap time. Angelica and I talked in Spanish while the kids were sleeping. Judy came home and we finished the nap time with some foosball. I felt bad because I beat him 3 games in a row. I even tried to let him win the last game but he kept scoring in his own goal. And ever time he would do it he would yell out “Senor”. Yeah…. My computer isn’t Spanish. It doesn’t put the ~ thingy above the “n” yet.
When the kids got up, it was time to amuse them again while Angelica made dinner. So Luisa and I put together a Disney Princess puzzle that I brought down for her. She loved it and thought it was awesome because it was 3-D. Luis called me on the cell phone that I got down here and we are working ways to get together so I can give him some stuff. But he is also helping me on my trip on Weds to see my sponsored child. I am excited about that!
We had dinner and then the kids just ran around playing. Eventually they watched a goofy Spanish cartoon on Judy’s computer and then they went to bed. I was exhausted so I went to bed too at 9pm!!! Lol
On a side note…. Marcos got in trouble for using bad language at school today. So he didn’t get to nap. He sat on his knees for the 2 hours of napping and was made to memorize Proverbs 4 over and over. I thinks that’s pretty cool for a punishment. If you are going to put a child in time out, make them memorize some of the bible!

I love it here in Casa Robles. They definitely welcome the extra set of hands. Although I don’t do a whole lot to help, I guess I’m more or less giving Angelica and Judy a break with the kids. I think I am taking all of them to the movies today. I guess we’ll see. I am excited to see what God has in store. I’ve been able to really get to know some of these kids pretty well. It was cute when luisa and like 4 of the boys kissed me on the cheek goodnight. I am making a connection here. Or should I say God is. Well…. Time to get out of bed. The kids had today off of school I guess it’s a teacher work day. So I am starting to hear voices. Nanny Tom to the rescue! I will chat with you all later!

No comments:

Post a Comment