Tuesday, September 13, 2011

It´s the little things

Ok.... first off, Im on a spanish keyboard right now and I cant find the apostrophe button. So deal with my bad English!

But I was walking the girls to school today and there is a tree (I believe it´s a red Azalea bush) that over hangs the sidewalk. I is almost low enough to hit my head on, but the girls cant reach it. Every day we walk under it and they always want a red flower to put in their hair on the way to school. It is the perfect climate here for this bush, because it flowers year long. So there are always enough flowers to take a couple. But it is so cute. They beg me to grab a flower off they bush and of course I give in to the precious smiles. After they put it in their hair, they are beaming from ear to ear.

Its the little things down here that are so special. I am sitting in the preschool at Los Brasiles and I am waiting on the kids to show up. I know that one little girl will drop everything when she sees me and give me a huge hug. Her name is Haydi. I think she has some mental problems. She is always staring off into the sky. It is sad, but Im pretty sure she isnt all there. But one thing she loves is being loved. So when she walks in, most kids would take off their backpack, say hi to the teachers, and sit down. But she will drop her bag the second she sees me, runs over to me and hugs my leg, and has to be peeled off of me. That makes my day. This little girl that lives in a 12x12 shack around the corner from the school, walks around barefoot on the muddy floor of her house, and is always dirty has the most amazing little smile in the world. She can break the hearts of the most hardened.

I have been told a lot that ¨you can hug little children in America, you dont need to be in Nica¨. I love my little kids in Murray. But the difference is that in Murray I might be one of many special people in my kids lives. But here in Nicaragua there is a good chance I am the only person, ESPECIALLY only male that loves them and gives them hugs.

One of the kids has a 14 year old sister. She was so excited her 14 year old sister was having a baby last week. I couldnt believe it. Thats whats sad here. It is normal for most girls to have children between the ages of 16-18 here. Its because when a guys shows them attention and love, its normally the first time they had attention from a guy so they fall for them. I hope to change that with these little kids. I hope to set the bar high for what a good guy is. I hope they look at me and compare guys to me and realize that these guys that show them attention arent worth it.

I am not the perfect guy by all means. I wouldnt be single if that was the case. But I would like to think I can set a good example to children boy boys and girls of the man they want to become and the man they would like to marry. There are a lot of scum men in Nicaragua. I met a guy a couple days ago that has 8 children all with different women. Thats not uncommon here.

I started off by talking about the simple things.... and I am preaching now about something totally different. I guess the Holy Spirit had a word for me to share.

But I love life here. I am working on many things. I want to be here forever. I know thats a big statement, but I do. I am always blown away at the happiness i get to experience with kids here. There is no whinning about stuff. They dont need an xbox. They need you to hold their hand. That is what makes their day special. And that is what makes my day special. Its the little things.

Lord,
Please let these children see Jesus through my actions. Let me be a mirror that reflects the Holy Spirit. I pray that you lift them up and let them know that they matter and are a perfect masterpiece. Let that mirror be a reflecting glass in a lighthouse that shows them there is a better way and a safe way to live. That safe way is with you. That your kingdom is here right now. Let me help show them that kingdom here on earth. Eternal life starts now. Not when we die. Lord.... thank you for the gift of love and laughter. Two gifts I could not live without. I love you Lord. Thank you.
Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment